Wednesday, June 15, 2011

2nd Week at the Vida McKenzie Community Center

What an enjoyable way to spend a Tuesday afternoon--painting with other artists! I'm thankful that this Workshop/Studio time is working out because it is inspiring to be around other painters. If you are reading this and want to try it out, feel free to drop in.  We will meet June 21 and 28, and skip July 5 because of the holiday, and begin again on July 12.

My goal as an instructor is to show at least one technique or use one composition style each week.  Participants can use it or not, but they leave each session with more art information. I also am taking several books each week (I have a library of art books) for use there or to borrow.

This week I extended the idea of last week which was using an underpainting. I added lifting paint from the paper this week to create an interpretation of this Scottish bridge.

Posted by Picasa
I began with an underpainting made with Antwerp blue, Aureolin yellow, and Burnt Sienna. After drawing the bridge on the paper, I lifted all the underpainting colors off, to create a nearly white bridge. From there I tried to simplify the scene as much as possible, using a lot of the underpainting to create the background trees and water. I see a few things to correct or add at this point, but I do not want to overpaint this one.  I love the simplicity and the implied vegetation.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love your work, Aunt Sue. The bridge painting is beautiful.

I have no idea why, but the phrase "implied vegetation" made me chuckle. Maybe it's because I have a teenager? J It is indeed exactly that, though, and it's lovely! I do so wish I could come to a Tuesday workshop. I'm so glad to hear it's going well!

Love, Janny