Saturday, June 7, 2008

My Art Journey ISS Taos

The beginning of any workshop is always awkward. And sitting in a space with 100 other artists and 5 art masters was even more difficult than other workshops I've attended. I began the first day with no direction, so I pulled out a photo of Italy and painted a very uninspired scene of Vernazza from the water.


Posted by Picasa

When Skip Lawrence came by, he agreed with me that this was a boring painting, so I tried his suggestion of placing a warm mosaic pattern over the entire surface. Do you see the clock tower and people on the beach?

By Day 2 I'd met with Alex Powers for my one on one critique where he looked at 10 slides of my artwork. He felt that patterns were a strength he could see throughout my work. So I began working on pattern paintings. Although I'd painted these umbrellas before, in this picture, they are flatter and more symbolic. The trees are flat also. The plaza recieved kudos from Katherine Chang Lui.


Posted by Picasa

The next paintings were attempts to incorporate painting people with patterns.

Posted by Picasa

This next one is probably the best of the work I did in Taos. Katherine suggested having just a one word message in mind as I painted. The word might be "friendship" for this one. Fran Larsen suggested darkening the woman on the right which made this painting much more effective.

Posted by Picasa


Then more patterns for my Italian friend with his wine. Do you see a one word message?

Posted by Picasa

At Skip's suggestion, I painted the fellow again without any face, but lots of pattern.
Posted by Picasa


So there it is in a nutshell. So much happened during the ten days in Taos, but this is most of the painting I did there and definitely illustrate the direction I was encouraged to follow.

I'd love to get your feedback.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that was quit amazing. So different than your Hilo pictures. I think my fave is the one of the two women or perhaps the gentleman w/wine. My one word for that one would be "alone". Or "contemplation". I didn't like the one w/o the face. I don't know how you ever had the freedom to put the pattern print all over your first painting. That really made it stand out and I started trying to see the picture behind the patterns. Taos was a profitable adventure for you because you had the courage to explore yourself. Petie

Unknown said...

Oooo la la! This pattern thing is a very different approach, although I can see how that would be the recommendation from the masters. Thinking back to your abstracts and various misc. works, your sense of pattern does stand out. I very much enjoy both paintings of the two women. Both are quite striking, but the depth of the second is quite spectacular. Also, the shapes and colors make me think of Gauguin. I'm excited to see what comes next!

Anonymous said...

I have missed you on the blog. I kept looking. Knew you were busy but I missed you. Worth the wait. This work is very different and for me it makes me comfortable. The patterns seem to include me to make the paintings more open to my interpretation. Easier to get involved in and feel included. They are warm and inviting. Lots going on but in a friendly way that keeps you looking. The first one is a bit confusing and I miss a face on our wine friend, but love the others. You made the most of the experience and it shows.

Welcome back...Toni

Anonymous said...

Congrats Margaret on a great workshop. You really made some breakthroughs! My personal favorite is the plaza... love the patterns & color & circular movements!
Ruth