Thursday, November 4, 2010

Card Making


Playa Del Ray by Henry Fukuhara

I recently read an in memorium article on Henry Fukahara who died this year at the age of 96. He was a remarkable watercolorist from the Edgar Whitney school of painters. I've long admired his way of abstracting, using shapes, colors, marks and lines. He is also an example of how art helps a person live a long and interesting life. He only gave up teaching in the last couple of years!


Reflections by Henry Fukuhara

The article reported that Fukahara sent many notes to friends and acquaintances, always creating art for his notes. This is not the first time I've heard of this, but it is such a personal touch and something I admire.

It struck me that I, too, could add this personal touch to my communications, and I had two cards to send out. One a thank you card for a gift, the other a happy birthday card for a 6 year old granddaughter.

So I headed out to my studio ready to make 2 cards. And a great thing about this task is that it was not the daunting idea of covering a 22 x 30 inch piece of WC paper. All I had to do was put art on a 4 x 6 inch surface.

 
Posted by Picasa


Here's the small collage I made for the thank you note.

 
Posted by Picasa


And this is the front of the B-day card.

For the inside, I rendered Mike and me to cartoon likenesses and put them on a paper spring so that we would pop out of the card.

 
Posted by Picasa


Give it a try! It can be a jumpstart to the 22 x 30 white paper.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two things of note in this. First, I knew you did not paint the first painting even before I read what you said. I just thot, that's not Margaret's style. The second is to thank you for your card ideas. I often make my own cards for birthdays. But I never tho't of the spring out figure or really anything for inside except words. Thanks, I have two birthdays coming up. Petie

Anonymous said...

FUN!! Marline

Anonymous said...

So cute! I love the birthday card!
Mahealani