Monday, February 3, 2014

Framing Decisions

I just spent time choosing the framing materials for my painting Catch, No Release which is going to the permanent art collection of Umpqua Community College. Keeping in mind that this is a museum piece, I wanted to mat and frame it with a traditional watercolor look.

First thing to be decided was which mat to use. Of course I wanted a white, but if you've never looked at the array of whites and off whites, you'd be amazed at the many options. Mostly I think of them as cool white or warm white, and then try to choose one that presents the painting best. The mat color I chose is a creamy white called "White Wash."

Next I looked at the simple black wood frames and settled on one that is contemporary, measuring 1 1/2 inches.

Finally, for the first time ever, I bought museum glass which greatly reduces reflected light. This is a wonderful product that I think may be worth buying for future paintings as it was not as expensive as I thought.

So what do you think of the presentation? Have any of you purchased museum glass?

If you are interested, here is the list of accepted artists for this UCC Art Purchase Project. I enjoyed googling these fellow artist to see their work. It is an honor to be included with them.

Holly Andres, Portland, Oregon
Rich Bergeman, Corvallis, Oregon
Clint Brown, Corvallis, Oregon
Kathleen Caprario, Springfield, Oregon
Renee Couture, Glide, Oregon
Tallmadge Doyle, Eugene, Oregon
Sarah Fagan, Portland, Oregon
Sally Finch, Portland, Oregon
James Florschutz, Portland, Oregon
Margaret Godfrey, Blue River, Oregon
Yuji Hiratsuka, Corvallis, Oregon
Jenny Kroik, Eugene, Oregon
Jon Leach, Winston, Oregon
Ann Lindsay, Winchester, Oregon
Barbara Benedetti Newton, Renton, Washington
Ryan Pierce, Portland, Oregon
Daniel Robinson, Fossil, Oregon
Paul Xavier Rutz, Portland, Oregon
Nancy Watterson Scharf, Oakland, Oregon
Pat Snyder, Coos Bay, Oregon
Gena Lee Tharp, Roseburg, Oregon
Paul Zegers, Roseburg, Oregon


1 comment:

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

HI Margaret, I think you made a great choice on framing, it suits the painting. Congratulations on being selected for Umpqua Community College's permanent collection; most excellent!