Sunday, December 3, 2017

Finding the Fun in Creating

A couple of weeks ago I went out to the studio through the rain, covered by my giant umbrella and entered my own little piece of paradise (my studio). My goal was to create a few cheerful, small pieces to sell as uplifting and affordable Christmas presents.

I entered the studio and started ratting through things that would be fun to work with. I pulled out some crystalized starts (these can only be made outside with temperatures under 30 degrees) and some marbled pieces.






But as I looked at my collage materials, I realized I didn't have quite the right papers with the right colors, so I pulled out my Gelli Plate, acrylic paints, and deli paper. Within a few minutes of applying acrylics to the Gelli Plate, using some of my hand-made personal stamps, I was set for some fun-filled creativity once the paints had dried.



A few hours later I was ready to start making two small and spring-inspired abstracted bouquets.

After playing around awhile, gaining direction, I had two bouquet paintings. I sprayed them several times with aerosol varnish so they would not need to be under glass/plexi. Next they were adhered to a solid backing. 

The next step was a 40 mile drive to town to choose and buy frames for these 2 dimensional bouquets. then the 40 mile drive home to put them together and have them ready to hang.

You can find these two bouquets at Excelsior Restaurant in Eugene, Oregon.

You can buy a bouquet of flowers that will wilt and go into the compost or . . .


You can buy a bouquet that will deliver cheer year-round.  







2 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

I vote for the everlasting bouquet! Plus it won’t drop wilted petals all over the table. Beautiful!

Margaret Godfrey said...

Thank you for stopping by, Ruth.