Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What happened to November?

I was shocked today to realize that the entire month of November has passed almost without my notice. So where did it go? What did I do? Here is a big, old catch-up of the month.

For a week I was in Portland helping my sister Barbara recover from a surgery. The good news is that the lung cancer was caught early and the lump removed was isolated. None the less, the recovery from a chest surgery is quite serious business.

But in our family, nothing keeps us from laughing, doing, and having fun. My other sister, Janice, and I took the opportunity of all three being together to record on tape some family stories as we put our old family albums in new scrapbooks.

Prior to leaving home, Mike and I started our great room remodel. After 20 years, we decided it was time for a new look. So first we had to take off the old wallpaper.
 
Posted by Picasa


Then Rick the mudder came in to give new life to old walls.

 
Posted by Picasa


The old window seats and built-in cabinet came out revealing a time capsule from 1988. (We put it back in the wall for yet another discovery.)

 
Posted by Picasa


Of course the old rug had to go, but it was fun reminiscing about the 20 years of wear and tear it received. It was a housewarming gift from my sister Barbara. Thanks, Barbara, it had years and years of good use.

 
Posted by Picasa


Now that the rug is up, we have the slate going down. Here is the set-up.

 
Posted by Picasa


The orange is a stablizing membrane. Then the first slate went down today.

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


While the tile guys work on the floor, I'm out in the garage working on the woodwork. Mike is in his office working out the details of new lighting.

 
Posted by Picasa


In the midst of all this, we had Thanksgiving. Because the house was so torn up we rented a house on the coast for the 4-day holiday. I was delighted to let my daughter Meg do much of the cooking.

 
Posted by Picasa


But she had plenty of help.

 
Posted by Picasa


My sister Janice brought my Mother over from Eugene for the feast.

 
Posted by Picasa


We played games.

 
Posted by Picasa


Took walks on the beach.

 
Posted by Picasa


Mike's sister Eve met our grandson Noah for the first time.

 
Posted by Picasa


We took the kids to the aquarium in Newport.

 
Posted by Picasa


Mike totally bonded with Noah.

 
Posted by Picasa


Some folks got really pooped out!

 
Posted by Picasa


Now that we're into December, we are on a tight schedule for having our house put back together before Christmas. What color will the walls be? I'm playing around and haven't commited yet, but time is running out.

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it nice to take down wallpaper that is properly put up????
Great news about Barb. She will stay in my prayers but surrounded with thanksgiving. I know you three had a great visit.
Can't wait to see the house. Guess if you want to do art in December you will have to paint it on the great room walls.

Love to you and Mike, Toni

Anonymous said...

Love the terra cotta color on the left! Looking forward to seeing the finished room....