Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Weekend in Newport

In case you've missed it, Newport is the Oregon Coast's cultural Mecca. Last weekend, a family group gathered in Newport to attend the Newport Symphony. My niece, Cathy, plays violin in the orchestra, which performs several times a year. This particular program included very modern music by a young American, Daniel Kellogg, a 33-year old, as well as Hayden and Sibelius. Musicians from all over the West Coast play in this orchestra and give wonderful performances. I particularly like the "talk" given a half hour before the performance where the conductor explains the program and includes background stories that help the listener get more involved with the music. If your lucky, you might catch a glimpse of actor David Ogden Stiers (Winchester in "Mash") who is the associate conductor of the orchestra.

 
Posted by Picasa

Our family star, Cathy.

We rented a great house in the Nye Beach neighborhood which had a wonderful view of the town below and ocean.

 
Posted by Picasa


It was a very relaxed weekend with lots of laughter, of course. There is nothing my family likes better than laughing at ourselves, the other guy, or even complete strangers.

 
Posted by Picasa

My sisters with their dueling cameras.

 
Posted by Picasa

Mike and nephew Dave google some bit of interest.

Sunday before we left, we had a great breakfast at The Coffee House on the Bay Front.

 
Posted by Picasa


It's the kind of place where you get food recommendations (home-made corn beef hash) from the locals and visit with your neighboring diners. This couple had spent several months in Sienna, Italy, giving us a common interest (travel to Italy) to talk about.

 
Posted by Picasa


After breakfast we took a stroll around the docks to settle the meal and look at the sea lions. These three have a future as a whimsical pattern painting titled "The Three Tenors."

 
Posted by Picasa


And speaking of paintings, I have an almost finished "Week Five" painting out in the studio. Luckily I have today to work on it to maintain my one painting a week goal.

This week I also invested both time and money in my second new year goal of getting into a gallery. I took several paintings down to the do it yourself part of Vistra Framing and chose mats and frames in preparation of having samples to show a gallery. My friend Cecile, who works there, will teach me some new tricks in putting them together next week.

I haven't put a date on it, but within the next month, I'll be putting my portfolio out there to galleries. Yikes!

Stay tuned for the completed "Week Five" painting soon to be posted.

I'm signing out with this cozy picture of My Funny Valentine, Mike.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: