Thursday, March 20, 2008

Close-up of Reed's Bay Playmates

 


This painting is a close-up of the three children playing on the rocks. It is 10 x 14, a quarter sheet of watercolor paper rather than the half sheet I paint on more frequently.

Again you'll see the s-shape composition. It seems to work well for these water paintings, and I love the left white which makes the figures pop. The painting has lots of wedging of land forms and water which holds the composition together.

I took reference photos on one day where I captured these kids in most of the photos. As I painted the same children yet again, I was reminded of my trip to Italy where my sister and I visited many museums. We began to realize that a painter would use the same model time and again--she might be the face of the Virgin Mary in one painting, Mary Magdalene the next. These little folks will most likely never know they were the inspiration for several pieces of art!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is such a bright and warm glow to this most recent one, and again, the catch the relaxed busyness of children messing around in the water.

Anonymous said...

I love the warmth of this one. The foreground colors are luscious. I can see the s again and the wedges which hold the painting together. I love the details as usual. The moving water around the moving children and their shadows in moving water. I need to go look at Reeds Bay again after seeing it thru your eyes. Petie

Anonymous said...

I see the s again in this one and the luscious warmth in the foreground. i love the details of the moving water by the boy and the moving shadows in the moving water. Beautiful. Petie

Unknown said...

Wow! I have to say that this painting almost makes me squint from the light off the water. I love it Mom.

Unknown said...

Wow, I love this one. The light off the water is amazing.