Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Menal Trip Back to Hawaii Via Art

I've had a few days of feeling down about my artistic endeavors. Between a bad cold, a rejection from a competition and lack of inspiration, I've just not felt very positive. If I don't feel inspired, then the artwork really can't be viewed with the best eye either.

But the good news is that I get out to the studio and put in my time.

Yesterday I decided to go back to my Hawaiian theme. I love painting people, kids especially, but paintings of children are often seen as "precious."

This new piece has some really good things going for it I think. It's not done. The white area is just too big, but I haven't figured out how to handle it yet. I like the mix of colors I used in the rocks and background--it creates neutral, yet stimulating passages. Maybe the sand needs more detail, too. At this point I like it, and need to take my time to continue to enhance the story of the child and turtle, without leaving bland and uninteresting areas.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: