Saturday, January 23, 2010

January 2010 Before and After

Yesterday I attended my critique group with a number of paintings, hoping for some good advice about improving each to enter upcoming competitions.

I'm asking you readers for some good titles for a few of these.

So here is the before of Lookout Creek (working title). I apologize for the change of color--it's the photo and computer, not the entire painting.

 
Posted by Picasa


It was suggested to keep the flow of the white branches to the edges of the painting. Also, I reworked the lower part of the stream with a new rock and a smaller flow of water to the right because the divided streams were to much the same. I put a wash over the right-hand corner to keep the eye from zipping right out the corner.

 
Posted by Picasa


"Lookout Creek" is the working title, and the location, but do you have a great idea for a title?

I'm entering this landscape into The Living River juried art exhibit. Also, I will enter this next one.

 
Posted by Picasa


The working title is "Take Off" but I'm open to a more interesting title.

The next piece is the "Cherry Blossom" abstract.

 
Posted by Picasa


The changes I made on this painting were to add a few dark details to the blossoms to break up the white and a couple of new pieces of collage added to the upper left corner because the black shape was too symetrical.

 
Posted by Picasa


I am entering this to the Watercolor Society of Oregon upcoming competition. Since it is going with "Orchid Eruption" it needs a much more dynamic title than "Cherry Blossoms." Any ideas?

Finally, the most painful revision of all. I succumbed to the many comments (not specifically from my critique group) that this painting had too much white, or that the painting would be stronger if the figures were given a clearer spotlight. I did a very light wash over the ends of the white horizontal band across the painting. Not a lot of change, but it certainly made me nervous. "Caribbean Cornrows II" will be going with "Sound Bites" (the sailor collage) to the Northwest Watercolor Society competition.

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


I'll be looking forward to some great titles. I'll keep you posted on what paintings get into show and which do not. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not good at dynamic titles, but it is striking the improvements you made on Lookout Creek and Cherry Blossoms. Small changes, but very effective.
Mike

Anonymous said...

I am wishing you tons of LUCK. Hope you get in to all the shows!



Linda N

Anonymous said...

I love the Lookout Creek painting!!! Can't think any other title could describe it better. How about, 'Cherry Jubilee' for the Cherry Blossom painting??

We are presently in S. CA. trying to get in some golf in between rain storms as they move through. Played 4 times last week.
Good Luck on your entries. I'm sure you will do well!
Marline