If you are an artist, you realize there are many ways to apply paint to a surface besides using a brush. If you are a home owner/fixer-upper, you know that too: rollers, spray paint, sponges, air brushes, etc. Well recently I've been using a small simple tool to apply paint in a way that delivers colors in a misty way that creates a delicate texture for a background. With patience (letting the paint dry) you can layer one color over another, or darken an area with multiple layers. The tool?
A mouth atomizer: Originally I bought a cheap one which broke after a few uses, so I invested in the Pat Dew's Mouth Atomizer and have had it for many years.
Maybe you have one stuck in a drawer, used it once or twice, but didn't stick with it. If so, pull it out and give it a try again. That's what I did a few months ago when I began focusing on birds. I've been enjoying the results.
|This was made with two spray sessions over a large masked area.|
It does take some practice to gain good control of one's spraying, and you have to have a good amount of air in your lungs. It also requires some space that can allow for a bit of watercolor mess and is wind-free. I've started mouth atomizing in the garage. This method also requires some masking and covering of space where the paint is not wanted.
Once I got to the point of really loving the effects I had created, it was pretty nerve racking to peel off the masked areas and paint what was left. Although the people are small, a good rendering was imperative. Also, I had to paint straight tiny lines to connect the parts of the mobile. Then there were the shadows! All of these small parts were make it or break it items. I am a pretty good fixer, but fixing a mouth atomized piece is nigh impossible.
Last night I was pretty darn proud of myself. I hadn't screwed it up with a water drip, or a crooked line, or an awkward figure. But this morning, I started seeing some problems. They were minor, but I called up my good art buddy, Ruth Armitage, asking for advice for the finishing touches. She took to her iPad and showed me some minor improvements using the app Procreate. I followed her advice and made the following changes--I darkened the lower left corner and some of the floor and put a hit of gray on the white mobile parts.
|Under the Shadow of Calder (working title)|
Now I can sit back and think of the story this might tell:
-My feet are killing me.