Tuesday, February 3, 2009

And the Title Is...

Endogenous Force

Thank you for all your great ideas. I loved getting so many responses. Many of you wanted a title with more force or energy so I started looking at info on volcanoes, since that is the inspiration. Endogenous means "produced or growing from within" and that joined with force seemed to really fit this piece.

For those of you with sharp eyes, there are a couple of things I did to improve this painting. First of all, I put another layer of dark paint on the upper portion. Although it didn't show up on the photo I sent out, the black was not as even as I wanted. That is very difficult with watercolors. I don't even have a black paint, so I make it with a mix of Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Siena, Windsor Green and Alizarin Crimson. This now has 3 layers of that mix on it.

I also put some white into the orb on the horizon. I had been bothered by that part, but I'm always reluctant to use gouache on my paintings. So when fellow artist Jim made a comment that it caught his eye as well, I added the 3 minor bits of white with a strand of red ink on top.

So now I'm sending off my entry to the Hawaii Watercolor Society. I'll let you know if the painting is selected.

 
Posted by Picasa

Endogenous Force 14 x 20

2 comments:

Mike Godfrey said...

I like the addition in front of the orb. It puts it into the back rather than being held, and a force such as that would never hold.

Anonymous said...

i definitely prefer the lighter "black" (probably really navy?) now in the background. it was too shockingly "black and white" before-- we all need some grey in our lives!

is this the kind of feedback you would like? or am i too primitive a critic? -- amy