Monday, March 16, 2009

Did I Go Too Far?

Inspired by the success of Sound Bites, the painting/collage of the sailors, I started a new piece using the same idea. I took a failed painting with Italian colors to combine painting and collage again. This piece follows Skip Lawrence's advice of a little and a lot. This has a little painting and a lot of collage. The beginning part came easily, but then it got more difficult because there were so many decisions to be made.

 
Posted by Picasa


I added dark behind the figures head.

 
Posted by Picasa


I tried out colors and shapes for the people behind the main figure.

 
Posted by Picasa


I put on the figures with the head shapes and painted a neutral background.

 
Posted by Picasa


I begin to paint more patterns throughout the piece.

 
Posted by Picasa


But I see that the piece needs more dark, so I add dark shapes behind the background figures.

 
Posted by Picasa


And then I see that I need dark on the two shapes in the bottom corners.

 
Posted by Picasa


If this image seems familiar, here are previous versions. Sooner or later, I'll get it right.
 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


I'd love feedback.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Margaret: I think you made a great start. It starts to lose it when you put in the bricks...texture is great...but maybe that, plus the bottom became too much. Eyes need places to rest???

You could consider goauche? Just my two bits worth. LaVonne

Anonymous said...

Hi Margaret,
I think it is better than the other two.... I like the geometric feel. But I am distracted by the wine glass being front & center and painted differently... I agree with LaVonne that the bricks in the background might be a bit much. I think what worked with Sound Bites was the quiet space balanced with the pattern. Keep up the fight!

Anonymous said...

Dear Sue, I am in love with the man. I recognized him immediately. I realize now that the wine glass in the first one was too far from him and I really don't care about it. It is all about him for me. I like him however and whereever you paint him. He has attitude. Still love him the first time but this time is interesting too. Don't hide him too much. Toni