Thursday, April 2, 2009

More Before and After

A couple of weeks ago I asked the question about this piece: did I go too far. I guess I asked this because I could see it was too busy, but also wasn't ready to make changes.

 
Posted by Picasa


One of the great things about mixed media is that you can make changes by covering areas with gouache paints, add more collage material, etc. So my first step was to go back to a calmer background and left and right hand corners by painting over with gouache. A benefit of this medium is that with a light coat, you can still get a bit of color and texture from the paint underneath.

 
Posted by Picasa


At this stage, I felt the lower left and right corners were uninteresting--bland, so I added more detail and color with further collage pieces.

 
Posted by Picasa


Lower left corner before.

 
Posted by Picasa


With added interest.

 
Posted by Picasa


Lower right before.

 
Posted by Picasa


After.

 
Posted by Picasa


And here is the painting as it stands now. Comments are very welcome.

Tomorrow I head to Seaside for the Watercolor Society of Oregon convention and workshop. I'm hoping to come back with greater knowledge and renewed enthusiasm for making art. I'm sure you'll find reports of the upcoming week on my blog when I return home.

I'll close with this amazing photo of my granddaughter Angelica (inside) looking at a frog (outside) at our kitchen door.

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: