Thursday, May 7, 2009

It's the Small Things

For the last few years I've enjoyed one of the harbingers of the changing seasons, the song birds. First come the house and purple finches, hummingbirds, and pine siskins. The swallows arrive in great numbers when spring is truly here, although cold days keep them in hiding. Then the American gold finches arrive. They cover the thistle feeder with their amazing yellow bodies. These birds arrive in great numbers and are welcome, but...

There are two birds of unusual colors that I watch for. They come in pairs and I feel lucky if I get to see one of each every year. Today our front yard was graced by the Lazuli Bunting, one of the most lovely blue and orange colored birds of the Pacific Northwest.

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


Now I await the sighting of the Western Tanager, the other beautifully colored bird I rarely see.

2 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

Wow! What cool photos! Thank you for sharing :) I got a thrill just from your pics...

Anonymous said...

You are sooo lucky to have seen the buntings. We love the birds. The amount of money one can spend on thistle is mind boggling. I have seen the tanangers in our backyard...not this year, yet.
Linda N.