Tuesday, November 23, 2010

First Snow

It's unusual in our neck of the woods to get snow before Thanksgiving, but here we are on November 23 with several inches of the white fluff covering the ground. Last night we had a lot of wind and hard rain until sometime after midnight, when Mike woke up with little white snowflakes blowing through the window onto his face.

 
Posted by Picasa

Snow on my last roses.

We are traveling to Vancouver, WA tomorrow (knock on wood) to spend Thanksgiving with our children and grandchildren. I'm taking the desserts. So this morning I had a mostly empty schedule, with only second pie to make, laundry to move from washer to drier on my list of "must dos."

 
Posted by Picasa


My version of Penzey's Spices recipe for Chocolate Walnut Pecan Pie.

Normally what I'd do with an open schedule would be head to the studio, but I've been feeling ambivalent about my art since a failed painting two weeks ago. But this morning I read a post on Facebook from my friend Liz Walker. She was sharing a website http://www.art-adventures.com/tip06.html telling how to make a crystallized texture with acrylic paint on smooth paper in freezing cold weather. This was perfect for me--no skill involved--just a quick creation to work on later.

So here is my route to the studio. Mike found bear footprints out by the barn earlier this morning.

 
Posted by Picasa


I followed the directions which included mixing fluid acrylics in water to pour over the wet paper.

 
Posted by Picasa


I was working outside of the barn's shelter as I wet the paper and poured color over the paper. As I worked, snowflakes drifted onto the paper, and I wondered if that would effect my final product. As I finished the pours and moving of the paint around by tilting the papers, I laid the papers out on the barn floor to freeze.

 
Posted by Picasa


Before leaving the studio area, I could already see some crystals forming, although they are very small.

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


Now I have faith that after we have our feasting and celebrating our older daughter's birthday (which is tomorrow), I will have the inspiration to go paint. Probably only other artists understand the ups and downs of the process of putting something of yourself on a piece of paper in hopes it will be "art."

And as for the disappointing painting--I won't show the whole, but here are a few small bits.

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No I do not understand artists because I am not one. I tho't everything lovely; roses in snow, footprints in snow, pie, AND "failed" painting. I WANT some of that pie. Never heard of it before, but sounds fab. Happy Thanksgiving.
Petie

Liz said...

Margaret, your icy crystal painting "beginnings" are wonderful! Now wasn't THAT fun?

As for your "failed" painting--I scrolled down to the part with the cat and the flowers and thought "wow!" I'm not sure what you were aiming for, but you've got an lovely color/shape sense on that piece.

Happy Thanksgiving & glad I got you painting today! Liz

Anonymous said...

Well, I like your failed painting! It's only a failure if you believe it to be!
And happy, happy Thanksgiving to you, Mike and your entire family. We miss you here in Hilo!
Aloha,
Mahealani