Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Further Playing with Patterns

Once again I am playing with white space and patterns. My goal is to create a painting as dynamic as my collages, using only transparent watercolors. Rather than come up with a new composition, I relied on the lovely Roatan woman sitting on white lawn chairs.

I attacked this by saying my favorite mantra repeatedly: It's only paper.

I'm posting 3 images to help you better understand just how challenging this experience was. Although it was difficult, it was also liberating, as I ignored all my impulses to do something safe.

I'd welcome feedback. I'm asking myself the following questions.Is it playful and whimsical? Does it make me smile? Is it over the top?

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Ruth Armitage said...

Hi Margaret,
Glad to see you tackle this subject again. It IS whimsical and it does make me smile. Over the top? I'm not sure. Perhaps a few areas could be pushed back... but it would just be fine tuning.

Anonymous said...

It is outrageously fabulous. It is happy and peaceful all at the same time. It is really good. I don't have a problem with all the bright colors, I love them. I'm glad you let out all the stops and just made something spectacular. Petie

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Great job! I love the patterning, shapes and COLOR. I would not change a thing in this painting.



Linda N.