Monday, July 6, 2009

Two Very Different Trips

The last two weekends I have traveled nearly 2000 miles. I have been east to Colfax and Pullman, Washington for a family event (1082 miles) by car; then north to Victoria, B.C. for fun (832 miles) by car and ferry. They were certainly two very different trips. One was with the oldest member of my family, my 93 year-old mother. The other was with 3 children under 8, including the youngest member of my family, 18 month-old, Noah. One trip was to cowboy country, one was to a sophisticated city. Both were full, surrounded by family, and wonderful in different ways.

The first weekend to Eastern Washington was traveling with my two sisters and my mom. Her knees have pretty much given out on her, so we had her walker along to aid in her getting around. Needless to say, we didn't get around fast.

 
Posted by Picasa

Sister Janice with Mother.

 
Posted by Picasa

Sister Barbara with Mother.

We visited our three cousins, their spouses and offspring. The first day there, we visited our oldest cousin Pat and her husband, Fritz.

 
Posted by Picasa

 
Posted by Picasa


The big event of the weekend was the 25th wedding anniversary of my cousin Kay and her husband Stan.

 
Posted by Picasa


It was a great party held at the County Fair Grounds, with a buffet prepared by Kay and Stan's kids. As every big party I've been to in the Palouse there was country music and dancing.

 
Posted by Picasa

Cousin Bob dancing with his daughter.

It was great to catch up with that branch of the family.

 
Posted by Picasa

Janice visiting with cousin Dorothy.

 
Posted by Picasa

My mom and cousin Kay.

I think we won the distinction of traveling the furthest to attend the party!

I was barely home long enough to wash my clothes and repack before we were headed to Seattle, then Victoria. This trip included both daughters and their families. With three kids, strollers and lots of luggage, we didn't move very fast on this trip either.

 
Posted by Picasa

Angelica, Marin and Noah.

We stayed at Victoria's landmark hotel, The Empress. All the girls (myself included) loved the elegance of the place.

 
Posted by Picasa

 
Posted by Picasa


Of course we went to Buchart Gardens.

 
Posted by Picasa

 
Posted by Picasa


And a carriage ride around the city was a "must do."

 
Posted by Picasa


 

Josh, Marin and Rachel.

Noah stayed at the hotel with Mike and me, but got to pet the horse...

 
Posted by Picasa


and have the run of the hotel.

 
Posted by Picasa


Meg and I splurged on high tea. Yummy!

 
Posted by Picasa


And before I knew it I was back home. Honestly, I'm ready to stay put for awhile.

Today I was back in the studio working on another piece with lots of collage. I hope to be sharing it on my blog soon.

No comments: