Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Little Italy

 

As I mentioned earlier this week, I returned to painting in a comfortable manner. I took a photo image taken from my trip to Italy this summer out to the studio and interpreted that into a painting. I added the men on the bench, colored the umbrellas in a pattern that appealed to me, softened and simplified the backyround to make the men and umbrellas pop. I created a circular pattern to the forground stone work and painted the building scewed into a fan shape to emphasize the round theme of the umbrellas. The vertical lines add some needed contrast and tension.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I did not see the shape of the building echoing the plaza and umbrellas until I read your commentary. Then even reason for adding the striped awning became clear. Nice. I like it.