Thursday, August 15, 2013

Catch, No Release--a New Painting

A few months ago, perhaps as far back as January, I started this piece. Until a week or so ago, it sat waiting--a drawing with two strata of rice paper, one at the bottom, and one above the heron's wing. I chose this start after my struggle to finish two transparent watercolor pieces a couple of weeks ago. Why this one when I have a stack of painting starts in a drawer? I took this one to my table because I was confident about how I would complete it. That sure makes the studio time less stressful.


Borrowing ideas from previous paintings, I worked on the basic strata first, before beginning the detail of the Great Blue himself. 











At this stage of the painting, most of the paint has been applied, but it is waiting for the detail that will make a statement. The details will tell a viewer that it is one of mine, that it is an interpretation of what I see and feel on the river, that it is something I am passionate about.








Catch, No Release
22 x 17
Aquamedia




As always, comments and critiques are welcome.


















































1 comment:

Ruth Armitage said...

I love the final details you added... the mark making, the darks behind the heron... powerful piece!